Hens beeing verry loud

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by markb, Sep 2, 2008.

1. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    My girls are really raising hell. my neighbors are pulling their hair out .

They go baaawwwwwwwwwwwk bawk bawk bawk bawwwwwwwwwk very loudly, you can hear it inside.

It is annoying to be in the back yard listing to them. This just started a week ago..

Any suggestions?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Have they just recently started laying? Mine have done that for the first week or two when they started to lay. They have quieted down some now, but occasionally we will hear some loud bawk-bawking when they are laying.

3. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    No. no eggs yet. But they should be comming soon. this month or early next month..

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have one that gets extremely loud just before she goes in the nest box to lay an egg. My neighbors asked if we have a rooster...nope, just a loud hen. Are yours loud like that for very long or just a little bit each day?

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    well when my hens lay an egg they make an offal noise but they are far enough from my house and the neighbors don't mind to much.

Henry

6. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    Nope. They are just out in cage area.. being loud.. Dosen't seam to be any part of the day. if i let them out into the back yard the quiet down a bit.. but still not like they used to be.

Only thing that has changed is we went from starter feed to adult feed. But they are eating it and seam to like it.. I don't know.

7. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    Quote:Wow, this explains a lot for my girls. They've been so vocal and I got my first egg yesterday.

8. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    Found this today... Maybe it explains why they ae being loud!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by