Hens behaving badly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoulfulMinx, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SoulfulMinx

SoulfulMinx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Hi all

For the last week our hens have been behaving badly. They go into their nesting box and scratch all their bedding out. They go into the chicken coop and behave erratic and knock down their perches. They jump back down into the run, then as quick as a flash they are back in their coop creating havoc again.

One of our hens started this and the other two have followed suit. So we have 3 naughty hens at the moment.

They are eating and drinking, although they don't seem so enthusiastic about their treats (potato peelings, rice).

Now one of them is behaving lethargic and stands in one spot, quietly, moves a little then stands still again (she did this a month ago and 2 days later was back to normal, after I took advice of giving her more calcium in her diet).

Also their egg laying is inconsistent, we have days when we have 0, 1, 2 or 3. Also sometimes the egg shell is unusually pale.

They have plenty if grit and we feed them layer pellets, and put cider vinegar in their water. They have also just finished their monthly treatment of Verm-X.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  3. SoulfulMinx

SoulfulMinx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    OMG I had no idea about peelings. Thanks for that.

We've had 2 eggs today. The lethargic hen has gone back to her old self and 2 of them are calm.

Thanks again for that link. I always thought we were doing well by them.

4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    You are welcome. I am glad everyone is feeling better! I give oats as a treat or to get them in early at night so I can actually go to bed. I am glad that I could help you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by