1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens breaking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherTheMommy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Yesterday i gave my girls some scrambled eggs for the first tome because of some feather loss. Today when i went to get eggs 2 were broken in the same nesting box as if pecked open.is this going tobe a continuous problem? 4 in another box were fine.

2. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've heard, don't know for sure, I'm no expert at all, but if chickens get the taste of the eggs they can sometimes like eating it and peck at their own eggs... could be total folk tale though.... I'll subscribe for a real answer...

3. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    It's certainly no folk tale, chickens love eggs, cooked or raw. Of course, it's always best to discourage raw egg eating. I caught one of my hens just starting to peck HARD at an egg in a nest, so I removed the eggs and told her nonono. However, her REAL lesson came from Crowella De'ville when she tried to peck at HER eggs as she sat them. She permanently lost her appetite for raw eggs. *grin*

4. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    What can i do to discourage this

5. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    What can i do to discourage this

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    You may want to switch to an all-flock feed (20% protein) while they're molting.

Also, collect eggs frequently and put some hard, fake eggs in the nest boxes (e.g., stone eggs, golf balls, etc.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by