hens breathing sounds weird-Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by penelope77, Jul 27, 2008.

1. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i can't describe it but i guess i would say her breathing sounds congested, maybe wet. any suggestions. chicken illness is not my specialty. it's my favorite girl so i must help her. well i'd still help her if it wasn't my favorite but you know what i mean.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yikes does not sound good. There are others on here that may be more helpful, this reply is to bump this up again.

3. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    All I can say is get on top of this immediately!!! I'm going through the same thing right now with my RIR hen. Here's some links about it.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75198
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75341

My Ruby sounds like a coffee pot just finishing it's brew. Her air sacks are almost completely full of fluid. I've been doing the Tylan 50 but just got some Aureomycin today. All I could find was the concentrate. After some research on the internet I found that you mix 2t. per gallon for treatment but only 1t. per gallon if using as a preventitive.

Good luck and feel free to PM me to keep me posted!

4. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well thanks for the bump. i'm gonna put some terramycin in her water and i brought her inside to watch her. now i just need something to stick on her as a diaper. the hospital is full at the time here and i am out of holding cells. she drank some of her water at least.

5. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    In addition to Ruby's regular layer pellets, I've been giving her scrambled egg and organic yogurt. I also pull grass for her. The egg will help keep up their strength.

6. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    Chickaroo! :

All I can say is get on top of this immediately!!! I'm going through the same thing right now with my RIR hen. Here's some links about it.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75198
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75341

My Ruby sounds like a coffee pot just finishing it's brew. Her air sacks are almost completely full of fluid. I've been doing the Tylan 50 but just got some Aureomycin today. All I could find was the concentrate. After some research on the internet I found that you mix 2t. per gallon for treatment but only 1t. per gallon if using as a preventitive.

Good luck and feel free to PM me to keep me posted!

thanks for replying. i did some reading online and the terramycin was mentioned as well as some of the others. it's what i have on hand. i have injectable too if she doesn't drink enough water. i think i caught whatever it is early so maybe i can save her. she is such a sweety. it's my partridge cochin i got about a month ago.​

7. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Good luck penelope77. I hope it clears up fast. I'd truly hate to see another chicken or it's owner go through what Ruby and I are now. It's sad to hear her. I'm constantly checking on her because I'm afraid she'll suffocate. [​IMG]

8. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well i decided to give her a shot but i think it's too late. she is laying on her side. i found her a cage to stay in at least. i don't think she is gonna make it. i lost two rabbits this morning too so i am kinda all deathed out for the day.

9. penelope77

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    she's dead:(

10. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    :aww sorry she didn't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by