Hens broody in this weather?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had a laying flock for all of my adult life....which is pretty darn long. I've never had hens go broody on me in the wintertime before. We've been having very cold temps. In the last week I've had an Aruacana, Buff Brahma, and Buff Orp all decide this is a good time to hatch some eggs. What is up with these girls?

2. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    You know how chickens are, they are one of the most odd behaving little animals a person can have.

Its mid summer in my country and it gets really hot during the day, but my pekin hen decided its the best time to go broody. [​IMG]

I couldnt break her broodiness so I decided to bring her indoors near the air conditioning and she's doing great!!!

If you want chicks the natural way bring them in or break their broodiness if you dont.

Lucky you dont have a broody pekin they are very persistant little mommies [​IMG] But their cool like that [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a bunch of broodies, too. But, mine are Silkies, so I thought it was just par for the course for them. [​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    definitely viral! Hre too.

First the GLW went insanely broody, then a burr orp followed suit, and then an Easter Egger too. Crazy critters! It's been three days of blizzard and they just don't get it!

5. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I have two due to hatch anyday now ,one started hatching yesterday ,so far she has one .Tonight it is 18 degrees here

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    2 broody hens here too in -35 temps. I think its their way of getting in the house, figuring i would let them hatch therefor have to take them in to do so. I will not give in (i keep telling myself that)

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    They are so crazy !!! Maybe they figure its so cold and snowy that they will just sit inside why not make use of sitting !! [​IMG]

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:I think that you're right!
    I have a strange thing happening here....a broody *Leghorn*
    which is unheard of right? Well she's broody and I have no way to stop her as it's too cold to keep putting her outside to break her..so this silly girl sits on an empty nest along with the silkies and silkie crosses. [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe the weather has just finally driven them insane!! I think the little aruacana has already gotten the hint that going broody right now isn't a good idea because yesterday when I went to shut them up for the night she was on the roost again on her own, but I had to take the other two out of the nest boxes and put them on the roosts again. I just put the bators away for the winter last week......I don't need anymore chicks this winter!!

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I can't even get my girls to lay eggs, let alone think of being broody [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by