Hens bullying the roo??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GottaLuvChicks, Nov 10, 2010.

1. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Ok, we got the flock of BR hens (+/- 18 months) and the Maran roo (4-5 months old) the other week, and everyone has been settling in just fine. Well, everyone but the roo. He is getting HORRIBLY bullied by the girls - they constantly peck at him when he tries to eat, and just push him around a lot. From my understanding, they all lived together in a bigger flock before, so it is not a new flock-mate to them. He is NOT having issues with missing feathers or anything, but he is very timid and generally not the "man" of the group in any way. He also seems a bit terrified of my Polish Laced roo in the other pen (they are not together), and they like to have screaming matches during the day (not crowing, but literally just yelling at each other lol).
    So, should I be worried or just let everyone settle in?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    If you are worried about the roo not getting enough food, put him in a separate area from the hens, or perhaps put him in a separate area with a quiet, gentle hen. A large dog crate works for this. Make sure that the other birds can see him but not peck him or hurt him. After a few weeks of being separate the birds will accept each other, and get along. hope this helps [​IMG]

3. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Quote:LOL I wish I HAD a quiet gentle girl in there! I have watched time and time and time again and it ALWAYS seems like he gets picked on, no matter who is around. He gets enough to eat, he just has to either fight for it or wait a bit until they are done. He just seems to let the girls eat their stuff then gets the rest (which is a lot). Right now they are all picking at the big pile of food scraps I threw out, and the 2 pumpkins, and he just goes to where ever they are NOT. I try to spread things out a good bit so he does get a chance. I just find it odd that they were all together before and they are now starting this with him. Maybe it's because he is young and has not "asserted" himself yet? He doesn't crow or make a lot of noise (unless screaming at the PL boy across the way).

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:LOL I wish I HAD a quiet gentle girl in there! I have watched time and time and time again and it ALWAYS seems like he gets picked on, no matter who is around. He gets enough to eat, he just has to either fight for it or wait a bit until they are done. He just seems to let the girls eat their stuff then gets the rest (which is a lot). Right now they are all picking at the big pile of food scraps I threw out, and the 2 pumpkins, and he just goes to where ever they are NOT. I try to spread things out a good bit so he does get a chance. I just find it odd that they were all together before and they are now starting this with him. Maybe it's because he is young and has not "asserted" himself yet? He doesn't crow or make a lot of noise (unless screaming at the PL boy across the way).

poor baby! You should separate them ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by