1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Burying their eggs ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottalovemychickens, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

I went and collected todays few eggs and i started to think to myself . Maybe i should keep one egg there for overnight and see what they do with it and i went out a few hours later and blammm its just gone . Do chickens bury eggs and if so why do they do it ??? Also that white specel on the eggs is ?

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Sounds like you might have a snake in your coop!!

3. gottalovemychickens

well i dont think its a snake because, i put the egg back on the ground in front of the nest , and now it looks to be like a mound under the nest as if it were moved and covered up . and i just noticed a second mound where a possible egg may be . Thats why i ask do they bury their eggs ?

4. gottalovemychickens

anyone ?

should i just take the eggs out that were covered up ?

5. acbear93

acbear93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    Interesting, I have never experienced buried eggs...the white speckle on the eggs though...I have 2 barred rocks that do that...I think its their technique is all...I have one black sexlink that lays a brown freckled egg also

6. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Quote:Yeah, I wouldn't leave eggs in the coop and give them an opportunity to eat them. They may have just gotten buried as the girls were scratching up bedding.

7. gottalovemychickens

oh wow , i didnt know that chickens eat their own eggs , ive never had that happen

8. Double-T-Family-Farm

Double-T-Family-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Midwest, Wisconsin
    yes they do! majorly once they start there hard to get to stop

9. gottalovemychickens

oh great

i just went out to the chicken coop and yup the one i left out there is gone , and no sign of any egg being there , so i take it i better start collecting eggs 3-4 times a day /

10. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would investigate those mounds, but never heard of chickens burying eggs in the dirt. I have heard of ground squirrels stealing eggs though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by