Hen's cloaca torn and hanging out.

donnaboydjones

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Whidbey Island, Washington State
I have a Americana hen that was attacked about 4 years ago and her flute was injured. Three weeks of living in my bathtub she recovered and doing fine, though her tail feathers grew towards the side because of the injury, but was able to lay and has lived a happy life. Yesterday I came home to a horror of a dog attack to my flock.
The same hen, was attacked and this time her vent , the bottom half is on the outside from being attacked. I have had her in all night , gave her a soothing bath, and have cleaned the area.
Should I attempt to push it back in? Do I let it heal on it's on? Or am I setting her up for failure and need to let her go?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I have a Americana hen that was attacked about 4 years ago and her flute was injured. Three weeks of living in my bathtub she recovered and doing fine, though her tail feathers grew towards the side because of the injury, but was able to lay and has lived a happy life. Yesterday I came home to a horror of a dog attack to my flock.
The same hen, was attacked and this time her flute , the bottom half is on the outside from being attacked. I have had her in all night , gave her a soothing bath, and have cleaned the area.
Should I attempt to push it back in? Do I let it heal on it's on? Or am I setting her up for failure and need to let her go?
Sorry about your bird. What do you mean by flute?

The same hen, was attacked and this time her flute , the bottom half is on the outside from being attacked. I have had her in all night , gave her a soothing bath, and have cleaned the area.
Oh, do you mean that she has a prolapsed/torn vent?

Back
Top Bottom