Hen's comb has died, and no, it is not frostbite. Could it be fungus or other ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pdx2phx, Feb 11, 2017.

1. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    My 6 year old Serama hen's comb has slowly atrophied and died over the last 4-5 months, and although you're going to want to think it, it is absolutely not due to frostbite. This started in sweltering S. Georgia summer. When we have had a couple of cold spells at 32 degrees overnight (so not super cold) she has been protected in a coop with heat lamp so has not been exposed to freezing temperatures.

It started as a small black mark on one of the "fingers" of her comb. I thought it was from a rooster/mating but it didn't heal and the blackening/shriveling has kept progressing until the point you see in pictures attached today.

She was eating/drinking normally, but hasn't been laying much for a while (but hey, she's six). I noticed today she seemed a little listless, and that she had a lot of white dried urine poops down her backside which I haven't seen before. I washed her up for the pictures, but she still has that heavy urea/ammonia smell. Her keel bone is also more prominent now and her face not so red, wattles are looking a little dried out too.

I have tried multiple types of treatments over the months, including checking & dusting for mites, antibiotics, topical treatments on the comb, etc and nothing has helped.

Does anyone have ideas NOT relating to cold temperatures? Could this be a fungus, yeast, parasite or other health problem? The urea makes me wonder if her kidneys/liver are having a rough time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could her comb have been scorched by the heat lamp in the coop? Anything less than about 2 feet away could cause scorching. Also, if her comb got partially wet, it could feeze at 32degrees, but it would probably need to be a few degrees less. Since it looks whitish and chaulky, favus, a fungal infection may be the answer. This can be confirmed by a vet with a small scraping of her comb, and favus may be treated with a number of antifungal creams. Clotrimazole (Lotrimin,) monistat 7, and others may help if applied daily.

3. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Thank you!! I think you nailed it with the fauvus. She wasn't scorched by a lamp and wouldn't have had an opportunity to get a wet comb overnight (when it got to 32 a couple of times).

Searching under fauvus has turned up a lot of photos that look quite similar. With her weight loss and heavy urea poops, I'm betting this is also an internal problem. Have you had any experience with anti-fungal meds or foods? Naturopathic sites are just saying raw garlic, etc (for people) but I can't imagine that going over too well with her!

Thanks again for your response - I will get an antifungal ointment tomorrow and hopefully get more input on food or antifungal meds!

-Lisa (& Webster the Serama)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have some sort of immunity issue or kidney problem with the weight loss and heavy urates. Dehydration will also cause increased I would feed her some chopped egg, a little plain yogurt for probiotics, and wet her normal chicken feed. Chickens like garlic if chopped up finely or sprinkled in their feed. Fresh is probably better, but I have used garlic powder. Only small amounts may be needed.

5. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I will try these foods tomorrow. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by