Hen's Comb has Gangrene on Tip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ybmagpye, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    EEEEEEK! When I let my 3 Faverolles hens out of their run to roam the back yard this morning, I discovered one hen has a black tip on her comb. Obviously the tip is gangrenous and I've no idea how that happened. Am I right or wrong to assume the black tip will just fall off, in the manner of how lamb's tails are rubber banded so as to obstruct blood supply, causing the tail to rot & fall off. Will my hen's comb tip fall off on it's own, or - heaven's forbid - will the gangrene continue to absorb and rot the remainder of her comb(!)?

Anyone have the above problem? What should I do? Nothing? I'm assuming if I did anything to the black comb tip my hen will bleed or will experience pain(NOOOO!).

When it rains, it pours - one of my other hens has developed a funny sort of skip walk - I suspect foot mites or some such and have some food quality Diatomatious Earth at the ready so hopefully I can nick that in the bud... I hope...

Anxiouly awaiting response from more knowledgeable souls. [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    We had a pretty cold winter this past winter and all my roos lost the tips of their combs, they'd just turn black and fall off. There is a danger of infection, but my roos all came through the experience fine with no intervention necessary on my part.

3. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thanks for the comments. That's what I thought, leave it alone and it'll work itself out.

The weird thing is it's not cold here; we're in Northern California and the lowest temp last night was 57 degrees - darn near toasty, plus my hens roost in a Eglu which is thick, insulating plastic. I have to assume my girl had some sort of accident with her comb.

What'd she do? Run that comb into a pencil sharpener?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by