Hens comb ripping off i need help asap

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Juniorhenowner, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Juniorhenowner

Juniorhenowner Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    As u can tell, her comb is ripping off. Idk how or why but it needs to be dealt with but Idk what to do. Please help me. I don't want to injure her even more by not treating her. Thanks so nuch. My phobe won't load pix so sorry. She's a buff with a ripped bloddy comb. Thanks guys

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Is it being torn by other chickens?

3. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm not sure. That's what my step dad thinks. Her and my americauna have had it out before but never this bad

4. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013

5. Brewsterhens

Brewsterhens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2011
    well the obvious first step is to separate her from the others. If they didn't do it to her, they will pick on it now anyway.

A picture would help...

but i would clean it, apply something to it, and keep it clean until it heals up. I would move her inside probably and certainly would have her separated from the others.

6. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks. Ill try. Do you think making a makshift temporary coop to put her in would work?

7. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    another idea is to put them in a place where they only have red light, that way they can't see the blood. If the coop is large enough you might spend a lot of time watching to see how they are getting along before you separate them, it might be hard to integrate her back into the flock, no real great choices..... keep us posted

8. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013
    Ok. Thanks for all the suggestions... ill keep u posted

9. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013
    Ok. Guys. We are watching her closely. We introduced them accidently. They got out of the coop. They seem fine. Just an update. If anything drastic happens you'll be second to know, only following my own family

10. Juniorhenowner

Oct 19, 2013
    Ok, guys. She seems fine. Thank you all so much
    E

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by