hens comb turned purple! frost bite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fowler_chick, Dec 9, 2009.

1. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    just wondering what to do about my hen, "frosty" as we have now started calling her, it's been really cold here the last few days, when she is out side her comb turns purple but at night it's goes back to a normal color?.....not sure what to think about this!

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Could be bad circulation. I have a rooster that when it is cloudy and rainy the tips of his comb turn blueish.

3. fowler_chick

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    as you can tell being a kansas your self the weather is cold , hot , snowy in one week!!!.ugh!!! that's what i thought too but she now has black crusty stuff on her comb....i called my vet who said to rub vassaline on it and just watch her or bring her in if needed.

4. tazcat70

Yes it sounds like it is frost bite. My roo lost the tips of his comb last winter when it got sooooooo cold! I put a heat lamp in the coop a couple of days later, but the damage was already done. I hear that Vaseline works.

In some things I love the changes, but in the winter I don't look forward to it. Except when it is nice like today. [​IMG]

Where are you at in SW KS?

5. fowler_chick

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    i'm 28 miles south west of dodge city, i know yesterday was nice, but now we have the artic weather back!!

6. tazcat70

Yeh us too.

7. fowler_chick

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    where in ks are you?

8. tazcat70

I am in Wichita. Getting ready to go south for a few days. Hope it is warmer in TX. A heat wave would be nice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    yall need to send the cold down here its hot i like freezing weather and snow i want snow so bad sorry to be off topic
    and yes Vaseline works ive read that everywhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by