hen's comb turned yellow, is this something to worry about?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brygal5, Jan 15, 2014.

1. brygal5

brygal5 New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Liberty center, ohio
    This is my second year with chickens and last week the temp dropped to -17 degrees. We haven't had such low temps before and i had read to put petroleum jelly on the combs and waddles of those birds with large ones to prevent frost bite. i did this when i heard the temps would get below 30 degrees. the temps raised back up by the end of last week, but i noticed 2 days ago that one of my white Leghorns had yellow in her comb. is this something i should worry about? the other hen still has a healthy red comb and all the hens in my flock are acting healthy, including this hen.
    any ideas?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Leghorn probably got a little frostbite because of the freezing temperatures. Petroleum jelly can help prevent frostbite, but it doesn't alway work all the time. She'll probably be fine, though she may lose a bit of her comb.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a photo? It is certainly possible that she got a little frostbite, despite you putting petroleum jelly on her comb. Petroleum jelly can help protect the comb from drafts/air and thus help keep it warmer, but it will not 100% prevent frostbite.

4. brygal5

brygal5 New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Liberty center, ohio
    thank you, i was worried it might be something worse! all i have read on here had mentioned the comb turning black, not yellow so i wasn't sure what it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by