hens confused?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigleghorn, Aug 17, 2014.

1. bigleghorn

bigleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Hello, i Have have a quick behavior question, my hens are 18 months and going through their first molt. So far they been loseing feathers at a slow rate, so I have yet to see any major feather loss. (But they are sort of miserable) Egg production has entirely stoped, yet on occasion one still lays in the nest box, as if she don't know she can't lay right know. They come out as go in to check on them. So I was just curious if anyone else's chickens do this during molt.

2. Mine do. One of mine chickens went through a molt and looked terrible. Her neck looked like it was just the spine! And she had black blue feathers.

3. bigleghorn

bigleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    OK, I just curious if they do this. I got a feeling my chickens are having a slow painful molt. Thanks for the reply.

4. Your welcome

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Give them some extra protein, can help regrow feather faster and give them a boost.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Our local feed store sells a high protein feed called "Feather Fixer". We are giving that to our girls that are bald from the roosters.[​IMG] I want them feathered up before winter.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Extra protein only helps grow feathers if they are going thru a molt........

.......feathers missing for other reasons usually won't grow back until a molt (unless, I believe, they are actually plucked from the skin).

8. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    They have bald backs and the feather fixer is working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by