Hen's crop is very soft, and liquid drips out of her beak when she tries to lower her head to eat. H

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peytons Poultry, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Peytons Poultry

Peytons Poultry Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    I just noticed this a few minutes ago. She is a two year old Rhode Island red. Her crop feels like a loose water balloon. She seems like she wants to eat and drink, but each time she lowers her head, a clear liquid starts to drip out and she swallows it back. I live in NC and its very cold here right now. What do you think this is and what should I do?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Does she seem ok in every other way? The reason I ask is because crop issues can stem from other issues going on in the body and the sour or slow crop is a secondary thing to another illness.

Check her over for anything else that might be wrong with her and if you think that this crop issue is the only thing wrong with her, she may just have a slow or sour crop.

The crop is a holding tank for food waiting to be processed by the gizzard and the rest of the intestinal tract. The crop usually has a high ph along with lots of good bacteria to keep food from spoiling and going rotten. But in the case of a slow crop, somehow the bacteria has gotten off and the ph has lowered enough to start to slow the crop down. Eventually this slowness, with food constantly sitting in the crop, it sours. It has a yeast infection. You will know the crop has turned sour when you can smell her mouth and it smells bad.

So the first thing you want to do is speed up the crop. Do not let her out to free range. No hard seeds, grass, hay, ect...only water soluble foods. So feed her only layer feed. Dampen it a bit as she will consume it more and be more interesting to eat. You want her to continue eating so that the crop continues to move. So, layer feed only, no free ranging.

Next, do not add any oil to her diet or yogurt. Yogurt makes mucus in the crop and can make matters worse with a slow crop. But you can add probiotics to her feed or water. To help get the good bacteria back up in the crop. You can also add apple cider vinegar as it will, over time, raise the ph of the crop as well. It is also good for the intestinal tract as many times birds with slow crops get diarrhea.

Next...Crops are best checked first thing in the morning. That is when they should be completely empty. A crop can feel funky all day long, however if you know the bird has a problem, then checking it during the day is a good thing. The squishy crop stuff has to come out of there. It is poison and over time will make her sick. So, hold her like a foot ball in one arm, beak out, tail behind you, support her crop with the other hand and lean forward. Beak toward the ground. Let that stuff come out of there. Only hold her like this for a few seconds. Once the fluid starts to pour out, count to 2 or 3 and stand back up so she can breathe. Give her a minute to catch her breath and do it again until nothing comes out.

Do this every morning to clear out the fluid that is basically rotting food. Keep up this program and if the crop turns sour, there are things you can give her to combat the yeast infection.

1 person likes this.
  3. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    Thank you, this is very helpful. She seems okay in all other ways, except the liquid coming from her beak. What does that mean?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If the crop is soft and squishy, it means it is not emptying as fast as it should. So you should follow the above suggestions to get her well again and before it turns sour. Sour crops can kill birds over time.

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    If she smells funny, it could already be sour crop... I had one with this in the fall and used this thread for what to look for and treatment: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat I did not try and poor the water from my birds crop through her beak though, I didn't want her to aspirate. But I agree with everything else TwoCrows said.

Oops, my bad, didn't realize this thread was so old! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  6. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    No problem, she's all better now : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by