Hens crowing or roos laying eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Remudamom, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I was dismayed last week to discover two of my young "hens" crowing. I resigned myself to the fact that I had more roos than I thought. But the odd thing is, although I only have two silkie hens I keep on getting three eggs a day. I can't figure it out. I know my chickens and know who is crowing. I also am getting one more egg daily than I have hens. Any ideas??

2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not sure about the silkies,but I know when we had Game birds,we came up with quite a few hens that 'crowed'.I know a lot of people said that was common in the games.I've never personally heard any of my other breeds do it though...Can you post pics?

3. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Don't know if this is the case, BUT many of my wife's family who grew up with tons of chickens said that occasionally you can get a hen that crows.

Her grandfather said that they were bad luck and his mother would kill any hen that crowed. So, if he wanted chicken for dinner he'd tell her that a hen was crowing - cruel boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by