Hens Crowing or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheGourleyManor, Sep 28, 2016.

1. TheGourleyManor

TheGourleyManor Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    I have (6) 18 week old chickens. One is most definitely a rooster, big beautiful boy with a crow that will pierce your ears. He is a BA. We have another BA that is the same age as this boy, but looks much different and smaller. I assumed she was a hen, but "she" is crowing and her crow sounds exactly the same as her sibling! Same pattern, volume and tone.

We also have 4 RIR that we were hoping were all hens. I have been hearing a crow that sounds a lot like our BA did when he first started crowing. Kind of raspy. It has a different tune, but definitely a crow. All 4 of these look almost exactly the same in coloring and size.

Are the two "girls" that are crowing really not girls? I have read that some girls will crow in the absence of a rooster, but that isn't the case here, so I am really second guessing the sexes.

Here is a picture of the to BAs to show the difference between the two.

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All three in the picture look like roosters. The first one isn't a Black Australorp, it's color is wrong.

3. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    All 3???? Fantastic. So I have NO hens? lol

Left to Right in the picture are RIR (thought hen), BA (thought hen), BA (rooster)

All 4 of my RIRs look almost exactly the same, so they are roosters?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A good picture of the rest would help. You could try posting in the breed and gender forum, but I'm pretty sure you will get the same answer.

5. TheGourleyManor

Jul 11, 2016
    Will see what pics I have and post them in the gender/breed forum. Thanks.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    cockerels

7. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I know gor sure that the first two are cockerels. That little one in the middle, which I assume is the one you are questioning has very obvious sickle feathers. The big one in the front is not a BA (or not pure) with that red.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by