hens crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Jul 7, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    just wanting to check to see if hens crow also???[​IMG]

2. greeneggs444

greeneggs444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I dont think they cock-a-doodle-do but they cluck and squack:/

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    As I've also posted, they make a LOT of noise. I hadn't had chickens before so I didn't know what to expect. They are definitely louder than I had expected and sometimes in the morning their squawking does sound like crowing, until you've heard crowing. LOL

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    so squatting is a form of crowing?? she doesnt sound just like a cock a doodle do more like a urr urr urrr urrrr. [​IMG]

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    the3ofus+oursixchicks :

so squatting is a form of crowing?? she doesnt sound just like a cock a doodle do more like a urr urr urrr urrrr. [​IMG]

That is a definite crow, sure it is not a roo?​

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I just meant squawking is loud. Sounds more like you have a rooster. Maybe post some photos? Didn't someone on here say that hens can drop an ovary and start to crow? I'll try to find the post.

7. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hens do crow! When my dominant hen died one of the others crowed for a week, almost every morning. Then it stopped and she hasn't done it since!

8. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Yes, hens can crow. I have one that does. She only crows shortly after the rooster does, though. Hens can be somewhat loud, too, when squawking or singing their egg song, but the decibel level isn't as high as the rooster's crow.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I had four Americana hens years ago in the city. One day went to get in the car and heard a sofffft Dooodle Doooo. Coming from the run in the yard. I said NO way, and went to work. On a Saturday I was pulling weeds and heard that Soffft Doodle Doooo behind me. And she looked at me as if to say.... "What..." I said.... "You didnt.... " [​IMG] and she turned her back on me and walked into the yard.

Within a week in the middle of the city we had a rooster show up. OMG. [​IMG] He was wilder than a march hair fully mature. Have no idea what kind but he was Very white and had a huge comb. The hens were a twitter and totally in love. [​IMG] He got re-homed in the country with a friend that had several re-homed roosters.... LOL and a few hens.

10. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a chicken that made a very crow-like noise as the sun was coming up this morning. She (he?) is just shy of 11 weeks old. It was a "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw" sound, definitely not cocka-doodle-doo. She did it maybe 10 times as the sun was coming up. About 6 weeks ago, we removed a few roosters from our flock and added two new hens. This chicken was mellow as can be until the two new girls came, and suddenly she wanted to be boss -- and she was kind of mean about it. Now this crazy sound... I'll see if I can post a picture. She sure doesn't LOOK like a rooster...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by