Hens Dead, Pulled Out of Coop, Heads/Necks Missing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LaraLou, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LaraLou

LaraLou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    We live in a suburban neighborhood in NE Oklahoma. We have a fenced backyard. We have a coop, which we left open because our hens free range and we naively assumed predators wouldn't be as big of an issue in the city.

Last night, something got all six of our hens. The hens were in the coop last night. I found four bodies in our yard, pulled about 100 feet from the coop, toward the fence. Three of the four bodies have their heads and necks missing. One of the three headless bodies has a hole in the abdomen. One body has no visible damage. Two of the hens are unaccounted for, but I found evidence of their feathers in other areas of the yard, so I assume they're gone too.

We've had extra cold temps and recent snow. I found small prints in the snow, but I can't really ID them. Any ideas what we're dealing with? What would kill all six hens, pull them from the coop and eat just their heads?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Raccoon(s).

3. D Kluck

D Kluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Raccoons most likely.

4. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Weasel

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I would think Racoons. Good luck!

6. worldrob

worldrob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Black Creek,BC, canada
    My guess is Raccoons also, and once they have come they will keep coming back. Sorry for your loss, I know how disappointing that is.
    Rob

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Did the animal dig under the fence?

I am guessing it was one or more raccoons that climbed over your backyard fence. Raccoons live in cities also.

8. LaraLou

May 25, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    We have a chain link fence. I imagine they just climbed right over. :-\ I never imagined a raccoon killing my entire flock. I knew wild animals live in the city too, just didn't realize raccoons could be so vicious to a flock. Lesson learned.

We set a live trap last night. We'll see if we catch the culprit. Until then, time to start planning my new flock.

9. cochinator

cochinator Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Take a picture of the tracks if they are still there and post them.

10. LaraLou

May 25, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Unfortunately, the snow melted away before I could get a good picture of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by