Hens doing the chicken dance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ohhhdear, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have 12 ISA Brown pullets (no roosters) who've been laying since mid-July. They're very tame, and follow me all over my wooded fenced in 1/3 acre back yard. Lately, when I reach down to pick one up or even move my hand toward them, she'll squat down with her wings half-open and move from foot to foot, neck extended a little. Is it a request to be petted, a mating behaviour, enjoyment and anticipation of the back scratching she'll receive, or what?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She is looking at you as the roo in the flock, so to speak. They will start doing that when they come into lay. [​IMG]

3. baucomgop

baucomgop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2009
    Annapolis
    My chickens do this too, I have just taken it that they like to be petted. I could be wrong, but I pet them anyway

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

They are doing the Egg Squat...they view you as the rooster. My sex links have become my best buddies since they began laying. Their faces, comb, wattles turned bright red, they did the squat for me and DH and became very friendly...that is when I found the first egg in the run...over the next 2 weeks the others began to lay.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Yes my girls have been laying for a while and out of my 6 hens, 3 do the squat for me and let me pick them up - the other 3 just keep out of reach and ignore me!! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It is submission to the rooster (you) for mating. When they begin squatting, they are close to laying.

7. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:The second one. Mating behaviour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by