Hens don't go in clean coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alw0781, Feb 16, 2015.

1. alw0781

alw0781 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    Hi there :). I'm new here and still learning. First time chicken mommy :)
    I cleaned my coop yesterday, long overdue, and installed 2 nesting boxes. But my girls don't want to go inside to roost... They roosted on the ledge of the window opening last night.
    Any ideas to get them to go in? Might they just go on their own after a day or two?
    Also, I have 1 hen laying now, 3 days straight, but I got the nesting boxes installed too late. Any ideas to get her to use a box? I put an egg in each box but she likes to lay on my RV pad under a tarp.....
    Not sure when my other 3 will start laying but hopefully they use the boxes :)
    Thanks! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    [​IMG]
    My run and coop.

3. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    [​IMG]
    New nesting boxes with real eggs from my laying hen.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] You may have to put them in the coop at night until they get used to the way it looks now. Is that the roosting pole on the left with the bicycle hook?

1 person likes this.
  5. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    Yes, that's where they usually roost. I have a bigger branch that I need to cut shorter that I was going to put in there instead. I just need to figure out how to secure it.
    I'll post a better pic of the roost.

6. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    [​IMG]
    View to the left.

7. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    [​IMG]
    View to the right: the window with a ramp on the outside going into the run. They roosted in that window last night, they didn't want to go in [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What a cute coop, I love the color and the heart shaped window! I was going to suggest a bigger stick. It should be 2" wide roughly and stick out at least 4" away from the wall. Make sure it doesn't spin, turn or rock. Check out coop design and construction section for ideas on how to do that. I think they have coop contests on here, you should show off yours![​IMG]
    Edit I meant to say 14" from wall! sorry about that!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    Thanks :). It was actually a custom built playhouse for my daughter but she out grew it and donated it to our hens :) hence the writing on the wall, lol.
    I was thinking the stick was not wide enough. It was good when they were small but now they're bigger! The other stick I want to use is just the right girth I just need to cut it shorter to fit and secure it.
    The one shown is very secure, even though it doesn't appear so. It doesn't move at all. :)

10. alw0781

Feb 11, 2015
    CA
    Alright, I just had to use tough love and get them in the coop for the night, lol. They wanted to go no further than the window and roost there again. Took some effort, mostly not to injur them, to get them in but they went with some reluctance. Now two are roosting and the other 2 are sitting by the window, lol. Hoping they don't throw a huge fit in the morning at sun up to get let out! I'm also keeping them in their run/coop tomorrow to try to train the laying hen to use the nesting boxes! Should be interesting!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by