Hens don't go in coop at night anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueOboe87, Apr 4, 2018.

1. BlueOboe87

BlueOboe87 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    My girls are 11 months old and have lived in the coop for about 9 months. They would go in every night and I would just close them in. They wander the backyard during the day. They still lay their eggs in the coop but I have to put them in at night now. I find them sitting on top of the nesting boxes if I don't leave the cover propped up during the day after they lay their eggs. Last night one was on the coop roof with the other sitting on the nesting box lid that was propped up. I can't let them sleep there because I have critters that will eat them. I lost one to something. I can pick them up and put them in with no problem but it was nice having them in at night so I could just close the coop up for the night. 20180404_101525small.jpg 20180404_101533small.jpg

2. BlueOboe87

Apr 4, 2018
    Well I am answering my own question. I went to clean out the coop (which I do every week) and when I pulled out the tray there was a trail of ants heading to the nesting box area and around the tray. I pulled everything out swept out the nesting box area really well and hosed out under the coop. I hope this does the trick. (The chickens enjoyed the meal of lots of ants.) Happy girls.

3. There is a pest of chickens called Red Mites or Roost Mites. Don't bother looking for them on your chickens these critters live and breed in the knot holes, cracks, crannies, and joints of your coop. However in severe cases 500,000 (you read that right half a million) Red Mites or Roost Mites can attack a single hen in only one night. That sounds to me like enough bug bites to make me find a new crib.

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Another question could be how many chickens do you have in that coop? You may be a bit crowded.

5. BlueOboe87

Apr 4, 2018
    I only have two.

6. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Now every time I clean it I’m going to be terrified if there’s any ants

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Is the coop dirty?

8. LoveDatChickenLife

Jul 9, 2017
    A little bit. But I’ve also seen some ants crawling around the roost (the roost has a poop drawer where I put all the hay)... it’s unusual I’ve never seen it before..

9. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    My chickens absolutely will not eat ants! They say they are disgusting and smell funny!! Of course, I do own the most spoiled rotten chickens west of the Rockies! Cinnamon sprinkled around the inside perimeter of your coop should deter the ants. Also I think that Diatomaceous Earth is a good choice.

10. LoveDatChickenLife

Jul 9, 2017
    So... if I put cinnamon around the roost I will see if there’s ants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: