Hens don't like crumbles.. ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Porlalee, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Porlalee

Porlalee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Just bought 50# of crumbles for the girls (2 Dominiques - 20 wks old - not laying yet).... They loved the layer mash we ran out of.. Feed store folks told us to go to crumbles now.. We are worried they will be starvin.... they aren't eating the crumbles .. only thing they are eating now is the kitchen scraps and trimmings I am taking out there... What the heck? Can't go to feed store til weekend... and I have a 50 # bag with hardly anything out of it.. HELP!!![​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Stop feeding them kitchen scraps until they start eating the crumbles?
    I'm still new to this, but that would be my 1st line of defense, rather than waste 50 lbs of feed.

3. Porlalee

Jun 6, 2010
    That is probably what we should do... Thanks for the idea.. DUH!!! I am so new at this it isn't funny... sometimes ya just have to hook up with common sense. Thanks..

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Do they free range? They can get a lot of nutrients that way and then with added scraps, who needs crumble? They will eat it, no worries.

5. Porlalee

Jun 6, 2010
    I can't free range my girls.... we have rodent problems and we have traps up and some poison... major problem.. SO... I feed my girls and visit them and watch them and talk to them as much as I can. After we get a little more control over the rodent situation, we want to clip their wings and let them out to hang around and eat bugs and weeds and all that good stuff..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by