1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens dying - lethargic, wings dropped, weight loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shyweeks, Aug 10, 2011.

1. shyweeks

shyweeks New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    Help!
    I bought 6 hens (4 faverolles at four months old and 2 silkies at 6 months old) in May and since then we have lost 2 of our faverolles and none of the hens are laying yet. We lost our first chicken about a month after we brought them home and the other one a few days ago. Both seemed to happen over 2 or 3 days - they started to move slow, had their feathers fluffed up, wings dropped and eventually just laid limp and would not stand up anymore. Both were eating and drinking small amounts at the onset of symptoms.

I am afraid I was shocked to find the first chicken in this state and did not examine her too thoroughly but did not find any signs of mites on checking the other hens after she died. The second chicken I found to be extremely skinny and had a bit of a pasty bum (not noticeable till I was checking her over).

All the other hens seem to be in good health ( i said this after the first chicken death as well...) and I am really not sure what to do to ensure their continued health. I called a 24hr vet phone line when i first noticed my hen acting sick and was never contacted back. Please, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Shy

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

They might have a clogged stomach. feel around stomach area for a blockage. I f you feel one give them olive oil this will help them clear the blockage. Hope they get better and you dont lose any more.[​IMG]
    Hope I helped.[​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Chickens don't get clogged stomachs. They might get an inpacted crop, but unlikely with more than one affected.

It sounds like it may be worms. I don't have any experience with worms and worming, but if you do a search in the blue bar above for worms many informative threads about treatment will pop up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by