Hens dying one by one - no symptoms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squirrelgirl88, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Thursday night when we put the flock to bed, one 8 month old Golden Comet would not go to roost. She got into a nest box and just stood there. I knew she was not right, by morning she had died. No marks on her, no nasal discharge, nothing.

Tonight, a three year old red sex link is doing the same thing. Her crop is empty, she will not eat or drink, I know she will be dead by morning. Again, no wounds, eyes are clear, no nasal discharge. She let me pick her up, and I've never been able to handler her like this before.

What do I look for? We have 8 other hens ranging in age from 8 months to three years. All in the same barn, no change of food, no new hens have been added since the 8 month olds came this summer.

I'm in Ohio, it's been cold here, but they have a heated water supply, and we have been keeping the wood stove going to take the chill off in the barn.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I had 2 silkies just up and die within 4 days of each other for no reason. If they were acting weird the night before, I didn't notice. I haven't had any problem since. Hopefully someone comes up with an answer for you, but if not, hopefully it's just something that happened without any other problems.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you treated them for lice/mites and worms? These problems which can easily kill birds are not always visible/evident until it is too late for remedial action.

I am so sorry to hear of your losses.

Suzie

4. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have not treated them for anything because up until Thursday everyone was fine. I have Valbazen and can treat the remaining flock tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will hurt a healthy bird to treat them for worms?

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would go ahead and treat them with the Valbazen... it seems to be a good wormer - it would also be a good idea to treat them with permethryn for any lice/mite infestation too - also it is advisable to give them a probiotic yoghurt a day or two after completing the worming dose.

Good luck!

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by