Hens dying, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by groaners, Mar 20, 2011.

1. groaners

groaners Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Ferndale, CA
    This winter's been a tough winter! Lots of snow and now that spring is here, the usual endless rain [​IMG] So everything is wet, wet, wet. I do try to keep the coop and run as clean as possible, but I did see some mold when I cleaned it out last. The chickens all free range during the day.
    Anyway I have a small (getting smaller) flock of Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks and Favorelles.
    haven't had any problems until about a month ago, when one hen started acting listless, drooping wings, etc. Did not want to roost, just sat in the bottom of the coop. Still eating, pooping, fine and I believe still laying. Was walking around, foraging a bit with the others but much less active. Weight seemed normal, not underweight. Then the next day she was dead.
    And then another week...another with the exact same symptoms and same sudden death.
    And today I have another that is becoming listless. Just brought her inside in the quarentine pen with a heat lamp so we will see? Any ideas??

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Until someone else with a better idea comes along I would suggest checking for lice/mites and then consider worming them. These seem to be the most prevalent problems in otherwise seemingly healthy birds. Good luck!
    sharon

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Have you checked them for mites? Spring is when mites are at their worst, they can 'drain' a bird in no time. Look under the wings and around the vent and if you see any creepy-crawleys dust the heck out of the birds and the coop and run.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG] Great minds think alike, eh?

I forgot about worms, if you want to 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone', so to speak, you can use ivermectin pour-on cattle wormer. It will kill intestinal parasites and external (mites and lice) parasites all at the same time. You just need a few drops (4-6 for LF hens) on the skin at the back of the neck.

5. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    yep, I agree it sounds like mites. you need to dust then dust in 10 days again to kill any babies that may have hatched.

6. groaners

groaners Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Ferndale, CA
    My first thought was worms, gave them all some wormer yesterday. I will check them for mites, hadn't thought of that. Thanks [​IMG]

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ok, for example, how would I dust a coop that is made out of grass floor and dog fencing? I don't suspect Mites, but I would like to Prevent them? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by