Hens Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdkmom, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tdkmom

tdkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Rural Valley, PA
    In the last week, I've lost 2 hens. They act fine, meaning that they go out into the run and do their normal thing but they aren't eating well and laying is almost nonexistent. What could be wrong with them?

2. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't know anything about your chickens' illness, but i hope they get better! [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are they?

Have you wormed them lately?
    Have you seen them shaking their heads (mites?) or not wanting to go into the coop at night?
    Any strange poos?
    Anything out of the ordinary?

Here is a general illness page with handy charts at the bottom:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    also, check your feed. if the feed has mold or any bugs in it they could be getting sick from that. or if they picked up something from the ground-parasites, botulism that could be another factor!

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Make sure all food and water is fresh. If they aren't eating but are drinking then it may be the food. If you switched from crumbles to pellets that may be it. Mine wouldn't eat pellets. If you start them on one form of feed the transition may be hard. Right now I'm having a hard time swithcing them to nipples for water.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by