1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens eating ash??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tobit, Mar 24, 2016.

1. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    not sure where to post this but:
    We regularly mix ash from our wood burning stove with soil in the chickens dust bath, well, today I didn't mix it and some of the hens started eating the ash and especially small black chunks of burnt wood (that hasn't quite fallen apart yet). Is this a health issue??? I'm not sure why they would do this...

2. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Hmm, this is a very good question.
    Hope you get an answer! I'm Curious also!

3. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Pretty much all birds eat ash from time to time if available. There are minerals in it. I wouldn't worry unless they are eating a lot often, then I would wonder if they are missing something in their regular diet.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    We have dumped ash from cleaning out our wood burning stove several times back at the coop. The chickens love dust bathing in it & it keeps some parasites away. As long as none of the wood you burnt was pressure treated or chemical treated (starter or chimney sweep logs), they should be just fine:D

5. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Eating the charred bits of wood is just like us taking charcoal tablets to help with digestion! Chickens eat all sorts of stuff that we would consider bizarre, but as Mimsy says, as long as they are not making it a major part of their diet I wouldn't worry.

6. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Ah thanks a lot guys! I'm relieved :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by