1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beggas82, Feb 3, 2016.

1. beggas82

beggas82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    How can I stop a hen from eating eggs?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest you type "egg eating" in the search box - there's lots of threads on the topic.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you know for sure that these eggs are being eaten upon being laid? What do the remains look like? Are the shells very thin? Are there any remains at all, or are you just assuming a lack of eggs means they're being eaten?

Most of the time, people who think they have an egg eater, really don't. If an egg happens to be laid that has a thin shell, and if a hen happens to step on it, it breaks. Then the hen will take advantage of the opportunity to eat the egg, as will other hens who notice it.

If you find an egg that has not been crushed and has a sturdy shell but opened by beak action, then you may, in fact, have an egg eater. But address that issue only after you make sure the eggs are actually being eaten and not accidentally broken, then eaten. This does not usually lead to egg eating.

4. beggas82

beggas82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    I have seen she'll left over but it is very thin, I put out grit for them so hopefully that stops the problem, thanks

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    That depends on if it is soluble grit or insoluble grit. In the US, the term "grit" generally refers to insoluble grit, usually in the form of granite. In other parts of the world, the term "grit" is used more loosely and can refer either to insoluble grit or soluble grit (generally in the form of crushed oyster shell).

OP, if you offered them soluble grit (oyster shell), then that will help with egg shell hardness. If not, get some crushed oyster shell and offer it alongside the grit.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by