1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens eating eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKeep01, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    My rooster has recently mated with my isa browns so i left the eggs in the nesting box for her to hatch but when i checked for the other isa browns eggs this morning it was gone. I think they have been eating there eggs because the coop/run is completely predator proof unless a eagle or hawk is coming in what can i do?
    I dont think its a eagle or hawk though because they would be eating my bantams.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If an eagle or hawk can get into your coop, run, or pen, then so can every class of chicken or egg eater known to man. From your post it sounds like there is not a roof or prediator proof top on your run and that will not even slow down a chicken thief or egg eater once it learns to climb or jump.

3. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    My Run walls a far to high for anything that cant fly to get in. But with the weather warming up snakes might be going through the chicken wire

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Its probably a rat or snake

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    If they are eating there eggs give them oyster shells they will eat there own eggs for calcium

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

ISA Browns are not known to go broody....You need a broody hen to set eggs...I am sure they are eating your eggs being you leave them in the nests...Collect your eggs and wait or buy a broody hen...?

7. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks I will buy some oyster shells and incubate the eggs I want to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by