Hens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by awhitfield627, May 28, 2010.

1. awhitfield627

awhitfield627 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Burlington, NC
    I have 3 hens that are on average laying very well. Problem is, every other day or so, there will be no eggs. I caught one eating her egg one day very soon after she laid it. I am not at home during the day to collect eggs right after they are laid. What can I do to prevent this? I've tried a couple of things I read online, but not working apparently!

2. troutfarm

troutfarm New Egg

Mar 30, 2010
    I am having the same problem, 2 out of 3 eggs are being eaten every day!

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

Make sure you are offering them crushed well-flaked oyster shell, available all the time in a free-choice dish. This will help make strong shells, which don't crack easily when laid, when stepped on, or when pecked by a curious beak. And put a golf ball or wood egg into each nestbox, which seems to help stop egg-pecking behavior. Otherwise, make sure your nestbox has deep enough bedding to cushion the egg as it is laid. Now & then some of my hens will use more force to eject an egg, so it hits the nest a little harder. It's good to have extra cushioning.

ETA: you didn't say what you've tried so far...
    however, if you've already tried everything I suggested, then make sure they ALWAYS have very fresh, clean water to drink. I've read that, to stay alive, dehydrated hens will eat their own eggs to obtain moisture, if 1) they do not have enough water, or 2) their water isn't clean enough. I think this can be especially true if they are locked in a coop/run situation during the day. Hens that free-range can sip water from lots of different spots, including puddles that form on a leaf, etc. If they are in a run and their only source of water isn't clean and fresh, they MAY not be drinking enough.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. housetree88

housetree88 New Egg

May 11, 2010
    One of my chicken books said to blow an egg and fill it with hot mustard and spices. I did this 1 time and the hens all tried to get a piece of it. I only have had 1 other time that I thought one of them might be eating their eggs because there was a small hole in the egg instead of the cracks from when the egg drops too hard. I filled another blown egg and left it in the nest box. They did not even touch the 2nd egg. No trouble since.

5. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    i have this problem when an egg gets cracked when laid, i use golf balls in nest also lined nest box with cardboard which seems to prevent cracks, the mustard egg did not work for me , i would like to get roll away egg nest boxes .

6. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Give them osyter shells from the feed store and put a couple of ceramic eggs in there nest. once they peck those a few times they should slow way down.

7. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have had several egg eaters and nothing I have tried has worked so far. I send mine to freezer camp ASAP after trying to rehabilitate them. Sometimes their hormones get messed up and they just go to eating eggs.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    One suggestion I have seen is to make your nest boxes smaller and dark. You want it small enough for them to get in but not stand and turn around. I would alos put two wooden eggs in each box the size they lay. Perhaps once they hurt their beaks pecking a wooden egg they will get the idea. I use the wooden eggs and only on occasion have a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by