hens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flako89, Feb 14, 2013.

1. flako89

flako89 New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    how can i prevent my hens from eating egg?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You could blow out a egg and fill it with mustard and cover the holes with clear tape. Chickens don't like the taste of mustard. You can also put fake eggs in the nesting box and on the coop floor so, when they peck at the fake eggs they get no reward and a sore beak.

3. melina90

melina90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Ringerike, Norway
    I have the same problem, going to try that out!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chickens have no problems eating mustard, spicy peppers or most other things people recommend putting in a blown out egg to discourage egg eating (though I've never had an egg eating problem). Fake eggs would probably work better, or simply collecting the eggs more often. If its a new habit, they may have started it bc their diet is lacking. You could also try a feed with a higher protein content (I feed turkey starter, it somewhere around 22-24% protein, can't remember which. I'd have to check the tag). Boredom may also be a cause. A hanging cabbage or flock block will give them something to peck at besides their eggs. Good luck.
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    put in a golf ball, the peck it it hurts the beak slightly and they don't get a reward. Makes them disinterested. you might move the pens around too, and make it darker where they lay.

6. JoyfulPromise

JoyfulPromise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Fostoria, MI
    Hey, I just saw this ad on Craigslist - http://flint.craigslist.org/grd/3631613819.html . Sounds like they have a serious problem with egg eaters! [​IMG] Thought I would post it on here in case anyone has an idea and wants to contact them. [​IMG]

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    They should join this site to get some help. I started out feeding the layer formula from TSC and then switched to a all natural layer formula that is 20% (I think, would need to check the bag) which I think helps them. When I have pullets that arn't laying yet, I put fake eggs in ahead of time and they don't seem interested in eating eggs when they start laying.

8. melina90

melina90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Ringerike, Norway
    I started collecting eggs more often, and crushing the egg shells and giving back to them. Havent had any egg eating for the last month or so![​IMG]

9. golden campine

golden campine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    This is what my sister and i did before that habbit.oyster shell.It makes there shells harder but you can still crack them try it.good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by