hens eating feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnmaradotte, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    why do my hens peck a feather off another hen and eat it? When they do it they just go about what they were doing like no big deal.

2. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I've read that's a sign they are not getting enough protein. Feathers are nearly 100% protein, so they eat them to supplement their diet.
    However, someone might have another idea, so let's see what others have to say. [​IMG]

3. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    what are good protein supplements?

4. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    anyone else have any ideas?

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:Bugs of all sorts (including meal worms, black soldier fly larvae, both of which can be cultured), all kinds of fish and meat scraps (raw or cooked), dairy products and byproducts (like whey), any kind of legume, including Azolla (the tiny floating water fern, either fresh or processed into Azolla meal), and I suppose in a pinch cooked eggs (although that seems so self-defeating I can't imagine ever doing it, LOL).

Layers normally are fed about 16 percent protein in their diet, although a little more won't hurt IMO if in doubt. If you buy layer feed it should already have this proportion or close to it, if you are piecing together your own feed you have to figure it out yourself. I do some of both, to supply them with more healthy, varied, and fresher diet, to be more environmentally friendly, and to save money on feed. The good thing is it doesn't have to be too exact.

Good luck!

6. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    thanks chicken man. just the response I needed. very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by