hens eating flower berries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kidsgrowngotchicks, Sep 10, 2011.

1. kidsgrowngotchicks

kidsgrowngotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    my 4 month old hens have found my flower beds and are eating the berry like seeds of something I belive is called a candle stick. The folliage comes up very early spring and then completely dies off. w/in a few weeks of that erupts a stalk that grows green berry like seed that go to yellow then red. It is a neat plant to follow the process. BUT WILL IT HURT OR KILL MY GIRLS!!!! Thanks for any advise!

2. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Hi, kidsgrowngotchicks, Do you know thw botanical(latin) name of your plant. Commom names can be extremely misleading since different plants can be called by the same name in different places. Where are you located? Do a google search for the plant and the info can tell you about any toxic effects

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Maybe Senna alata, used to be Cassia alata? You can google it, to see if that's what it looks like. You could watch for diarrhea, if they ate lots of it. It has a laxative effect.

4. kidsgrowngotchicks

kidsgrowngotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info. No diaerrha yet. I can't find an online photo to name my plant! I will check out the names given....Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by