Hens eating medicated chick starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dacasodivine, Apr 17, 2008.

1. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    I've been putting my chicks out with the hens during the day. I tried to put their food where the hens can't get it but they do still get some.

Is it okay to eat their eggs?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as your chick starter only has amprolium in it, it is fine. There is no withdrawl time for amprolium.

3. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    Is that what's standard or does it depend? I can't check the bag because I poor the feed in a container and toss the bag.

I guess I better call the feed store and find out.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's pretty much standard where I get my feed, but it can be regional. Best call the feed store. If it has sulfa type meds in it, it can cause bad reactions in you if you are allergic to sulfa drugs yourself.

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

All the information you need should be on the feed tag from the bag of feed you have. By law it must list the Active Ingredient and level, the "Statment of Purpose" for the medication, and any withdrawal periods for the level of active ingredient used.

Jim

6. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    As I stated earlier, I pour the feed into a container and throw away the bag so I can't check the label. On top of that, I can't find a listing in the phone book for the feed store I bought it at so will have to go by there to ask them what's in the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by