Hens eating other hen's egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paraclete, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Paraclete

Paraclete Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Norco
    A little curious about this, and I need to start posting so I can post pictures of some of my birds to find out what they are, but anyways, I was wondering if hens will eat the eggs of another hen. I have this little girl, she's hen pecked a lot, I had to pull her out of the coop to separate her because they were beating on her bad. She's a good girl but I never see any eggs from her. Well the other day she was making noises like she was going to lay an egg and I was doing yard work so I didn't bother looking in on her but after I time I hear my girls running around chasing each other, I check in and they are eating the shell of an egg, and the beat up girl is cackling. So I'm just wondering if it's natural or common for hens to go about eating the eggs of a single other hen, or if it's just a coincidence that she might of laid an egg and they ate it.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know how common it is but hens do eat eggs - sometimes their own, sometimes any eggs they come across. It's a nasty habbit, you could do a search on here for "egg eaters," lots of good tips.

My friend has 2 serma pullets and one eats eggs from both of them. She just doesn't care. Someday she'll be sorry she didn't take this seriously.

3. Paraclete

Paraclete Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Norco
    Yeah, I was reading up on hens eating eggs and such, I know my girls eat eggs but usually only if the egg breaks, they spook easily and they like to squeeze themselves all together in one box, never mind they have 3 other empty boxes, they just like to sit in one together. But yeah, they spook and sometimes they kick an egg about and crack it. Well I have that girl by herself so I can actually see if she's laying or not now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by