1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens eating peanuts and peanut allergies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by openheartnp, Dec 29, 2011.

1. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    I have read topics on this saying this is probably not a problem, but the responses were educated guesses.

Has anyone with a peanut allergy actually eaten an egg from a hen that is fed peanuts?

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Purely anecdotal...

DH is allergic (anaphylactic) to peanuts and treenuts and he eats eggs from my mom's flock. She feeds them any leftovers that they (the humans) don't eat, which I'm sure has included nuts/peanuts at some point or another. He hasn't had any issues.

I wouldn't worry about it, though have an epipen handy when you try it, just to be safe.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Proteins eaten by the chickens are broken down into basic amino acids, then reused by the chicken. So the allergenic proteins themselves are not passed on into the eggs. You are safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by