Hens eating Pine wood beding shavings

Mogli

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Northwestern PA Conneaut lake
last week i bought a Big block of Pine wood beding shavings at TSC & i put some in my Hens nesting boxes & the minute they saw the pine shavings they were pecking - Eating them they were gulping them down they ate a decent amount ofem, is it BAD if Chickens eat wood beding shavings? Y do they eat the wood shavings too? is good for them, is it Fiber for them lol to helpem poo better
hu.gif

My hens do occasionally eat some of the shavings, especially when they're bored. It hasn't caused any problems so far (the gizzard is good at grinding them up). However, I wouldn't say that the shavings are GOOD for them. Large amounts could cause impacted crop. Hopefully, your hens become tired of the new "food".

normally i use Straw for my Coop Floor & nesting box beding but i just wanted to try Pine wood shavings in my nesting boxes to see how the Hens would react to them, i mite just stick to Straw in my Nestn boxes for Beding

It's not a huge concern. As long as your chickens have access to plenty of fresh, clean water, they will process them. Mine have been consuming pine shavings for years, and I haven't seen any problems.

Don't ask me why they do it. I have no idea.

My chickens happily gobble up the various bits of wood shavings that stick to my feet and then fall off when I step out of the coop. I wondered if inside the coop they were eating them by the millions, but I don't think so. I think they're just trying to get some roughage, so to speak. Instinctually eating fibers that may be a healthy addition to their digestion. Or their just nuts, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom