Hens eating poppy seeds!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by steve1423, Jul 22, 2012.

1. steve1423

steve1423 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Pensylvania
    My Coop
    So my mother has some poppy seeds in one of her flowerbed bedcause there "Pretty" and my hens have found them and like em. Now poppy seeds are an opiate which im assuming they can get themselves addicted to them.... I haven't eaten any of my eggs because of this, I get randomly tested weekly. Now if I would eat there eggs would I piss hot for opiates on a drug test?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would ask that of whoever is testing you. I have heard that eating poppy seeds can give you a false positive for THC.

I would also question that poppy seeds themselves are opiates and that you can become addicted to them. To my knowledge, opium is derived from a specific type of poppy, and not from the seed directly, but by scoring the seed pod and collecting the sap-like substance that collects there.

3. steve1423

steve1423 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Pensylvania
    My Coop
    It is impossible for poppy to give false readings for THC thus being because THC is the chemical in Marijuana. What you probably heard was that eating poppyseeds nerfs for opiate line, heroine line, or oxy line. That is because those are all opiates. And opium can come from all poppy but to get it you have to cut the seed and collect it kinda like maple syrup. I did research as soon as I found out she had those.... This being before we had our chickens. But I asked my counselor about it at my drug classes, and she looked into it or something, but she told me yes they can get addicted to them and couldn't find me an answer about eating the eggs and giving hot tests.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This sounds like an episode from Seinfield.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I do realize that THC is the active ingredient in marijuana. Many years ago someone stated that there was a link between poppy seeds and testing positive for THC. Apparently they were wrong.

6. steve1423

steve1423 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Pensylvania
    My Coop
    Oh I didn't know that nowadays they say its for opiates haha

7. tokies

tokies Chirping

Apr 28, 2013
    i always thought the seeds were pretty clean not like the sap which darkens in the sun making the opiates .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: