Hens Eating Sweet PDZ - Safe? Plus DE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smalldog, Oct 9, 2007.

1. smalldog

smalldog Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Hello All. I have begun using Sweet PDZ in the coop and run to control odors and moisture. I will also begin using Food Grade DE today as it has finally arrived! My girls are eating some of the Sweet PDZ and although it says it is non-toxic it would make me feel better to hear from the folks on the BYC Forum that their chickens eat it too and you've not had any problems with that as a result.

Also would love to hear any suggestions on how you use your Sweet PDZ and DE in your coops and runs for insect, smell & moisture control. Any suggestions are welcome as I am a new chicken mama this year and trying to do everything right for my girls.

Thanks to all.

2. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    I've been using Sweet PDZ for several months now and have not seen any problems with my chickens. For further info from a lot of people on the subjects of SPDZ and DE, use the search feature and type in "Sweet PDZ" in subject and it will bring up two pgs of threads dating back to Feb. I think. You'll get lots of recommendations from lots of members.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    both natural!

I have sand in my coop & both mix very nicely [​IMG]

No bugs & Smells good! [​IMG]

4. luvastandardbred

luvastandardbred New Egg

Oct 8, 2007
    Quote:Mine like barn lime, of all things! I waited to see if they keeled over, but they didn't. It's not like I can't use it.

5. smalldog

smalldog Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks to all for your input as it makes me feel much better to know that you have used SPDZ and DE safely. Thanks also for the welcome to the forum. I am enjoying it immensely. Will check out the prior feeds on DE and PDZ so that I can see what else I can learn![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by