Hens eating the eggs!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bertie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. bertie

bertie New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    I have about 40 hens and they are released in the afternoon to free range after most have laid for the day but lately they're breaking and eating anywhere from 4-6 eggs each day maybe more that's how many shells I find in the nestboxes, the problem is I don't know which ones are doing it? Everything is the same as far as feed and living conditions are good, no overcrowding plenty of room no added stress except a change of outside temps from 80 - 90's lately, what would cause this habit and and how would I figure out which ones are doing it?
    Thanks for any help!
    Bertie

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:About the only way to figure out who is to seperate them. Or you could watch closely for a few days.

They could be doing it because they need the calcium or protein; or boredom, or just a nasty habit they learned.

Try putting golfballs/fake eggs in the nests. Other people have reported success filling eggs with hot mustard/horseradish or liquid soap. Keeep the nests dark so they won't see the eggs as well. Some people have even put curtains in front of the nests. I had success breaking mine by gathering the eggs frequently, and rearranging the coop to shake things up. The bad news is some people haven't had success breaking them.

Good luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by