hens eating their eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vagirl, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Vagirl

Vagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the first time in many years I have had a few hens eating their eggs! I have caught a couple in the act. One was a rhode island red and the other a phoenix hen. They gets lots of feed and oyster shell along with kitchen scraps, any suggestions? Thanks

2. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    Hi Vagirl,
    I have the very same issue right now. A quick search using "egg eaters" will return many previous threads on the subject. I am going to try adding golf balls to the nest and see if that works. At least you know who the culprits are, right. Still looking for mine...[​IMG]

I've copied a link below to a very recent thread that covered this subject pretty well. Hope you find resolution to your problem.

gmc

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26077

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    When that was happening with our chickens (I never did find out who the culprit was), my vet suggested I buy wooden eggs from a craft store and put them in the nest. I also made a point of gathering the real eggs more frequently. It worked! Every now and then someone gets into the eggs again and I just put the wooden eggs back in the nest.

4. mick

mick New Egg

Jan 5, 2008
    ireland
    i've noticed that if a hen breaks it's egg she will eat it, i never had hens breaking there eggs or purpose though

5. Funop

Funop New Egg

Jan 15, 2008
    I thought I had a problem with either some of my chickens eating their eggs or the pea-foul that share the coop with the chickens.

Today I walked out to collect eggs at noon and found a possom sleeping in one of the nesting boxes. This is the 3rd one I've had to remove from the coop in the last year. Usually I just hear the chickens squaking like crazy at night and know to take the 22 out with me.

I believe he has been visiting the coop for the last 3 weeks robbing me of my breakfasts. I will see if my production goes up now.

How he got in? I have a broken part of a door on the section of barn that is my coops. I leave it un-repaired so that some of our out-door cats can hang out in the coop when they want to. They get along with the chickens very well (eating table scraps side by side) and figure they can keep any mice out of the barn.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep possums love eggs and it you disposed of it the egg count should go up alot...I have been having a possum problem too eating cat food took care of some of them but I know there are others...Good luck

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We had that problem too, last fall. I really think boredom plays a big part. We increased the protein in their feed...sunflower seeds, kelp, layer. And I made a point of visiting them every other day with as much variety of table scraps as I could. The egg eating has stopped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by