Hens eggs fertile but i have no rooster??

Keah

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Hi,

So i cracked an egg from one of my 5 girls and i notices it had the full bull's eye on the yolk! I also have ducks and have been trying to breed them, i know for sure the male is mating with the females and my ducks eggs are always fertile so i know what the bulls eye looks like AND MY CHICKEN EGG HAD IT. I am a little confused though as i do not have a rooster...We have recently heard a rooster that is kinder next door (we have far neighbours) could it be possible the rooster is travelling over to our property and mating with my hens?? I can hear him crowing, not very loudly as he seems far away..but i have never seen him in my yard at all...I am confident that the eggs are fertile too, will maybe try and incubate some soon and see how it goes.
Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot

Hi,

Yes i did see that thread, although, i didn't find it helpful. That's when i made this thread.

Sorry, I apologize, I didn't read your OP very carefully.

If both you and your neighbor free range your birds....then there is your answer....yes, they can travel quite a ways to 'meet up'.

If both you and your neighbor free range your birds....then there is your answer....yes, they can travel quite a ways to 'meet up'.
It's possible you're 'misreading' the eggs, but aart's suggestion is probably correct here - they're meeting in the middle somewhere for their illicit chicken trysts.

I have 7 girls that I've raised, with no rooster ever. This morning I cracked a very furtile egg. HOW? And how do I prevent this - or is there a way to know before I crack the egg. Gross

I have 7 girls that I've raised, with no rooster ever. This morning I cracked a very furtile egg. HOW? And how do I prevent this - or is there a way to know before I crack the egg. Gross

What's gross about a fertile egg? Theres no way to know if they're fertile unless you crack the open or incubate them. If your hens have never had a rooster in their pen, and theres no chance they're free ranging and meeting up with one somewhere out in your yard, then they aren't fertile. All eggs show a white ring on the yolk, they are only fertile if there's a dot present in the center of that circle, creating that bulls eye that everyone mentions.

Welcome to BYC!

Did a you take a pic?
What do you mean by 'very fertile'?

No rooster ever means, no way for fertile eggs....unless you are free ranging and there's a rooster nearby....then well, there ya go!

Actually, i was thinking the same thing- what's gross about a fertile egg? If you buy the brown eggs from your local farm, those people are hatching or incubating their own eggs. Which means they have at least one rooster, and all their eggs will be fertile.

Back
Top Bottom