1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Eyes Look Swollen Shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigspringshatchery, Aug 24, 2011.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have a Splash Marans hens eyes that look swollen shut. She is the only one in the pen like this. I will try to post pictures tomorrow before I go out of town. What could cause this?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    correction. her eyes are swollen shut. they are milky looking. looks like my aunts dog when he had cataracts.

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    The pictures will help more if you can post them since there are so many things it could be.

In the meantime you can get some eye wash or saline solution, and flush them out and then apply some Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment or Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment if you have it. Do not use anything with a steroid in it until you figure out the cause because it could make them worse.

Make sure to separate her from everyone else and anything used on her kept away from your others so as not to cross contaminate.

You'll need to treat at least 2 to 3 times daily and I'd keep some vaseline or ointment underneath her eyes on feathers to keep drainage from sticking feathers together and making a secondary bacterial infection underneath.

Keep flys away too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by