Hens Eyes Sealed Up -UPDATE: PICTURES-

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahFair, Nov 9, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My hens eyes have swollen up. One started earlier than the other. The ear lobe was slightly swollen and the skin around her eye was swollen and dry. At first I thought her eye had been pecked out but when I opened it her eye was there looking at me. Its slowly started on the other side. The orignial lobe is now very swollen huge dry chunks that are splitting and starting to bleed. Eye is even more swollen but when opened is reactive to movement.
    No one else is showing ANY problems.

Spider bite? Bee sting?

This is as of today November 11, 2009

First eye that started up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second eye
    [​IMG]

Ive had nothing but problems out of this hen. She doesnt lay eggs (and Ive had her since she was atleast 25 weeks old for almost a year now) and if she does its very few.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Anyone?

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

There is a fungus that grows in moist soil that will swell their eyes shut. That maybe it. If so, sprinkle ammonium sulfate on the ground in the coop. It will kill the fungus.

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    sorry, sarahfair. I don't know, but wish you well on this mystery and hope it is only temporary.

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there any other signs like runny nose or gasping? Is she still eating and drinking ok? Might just be an infection but if it is moving to the other eye then it is probably not a simple injury. I would start with Terramycin Eye Ointment on it to help with infection. Check the eyes carefully to see if it might be eyeworm. Watch for any other signs to crop up.

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:No, no runny nose or even a discharge from the eyes.
    They are clear and alert just the skin is supper swelled and puffy.

Shes eating and drinking fine. Shes not as active..
    She cries a lot when she knows Im throwing food out and she cant get there as fast because she can only see out one eye.
    Its sad to hear her cry [​IMG]

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Her other eye is almost closed all the way up.
    Should I just cull her in case it is some disease??

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If she doesn't have any other symptoms then I would just treat her eyes. Do you have any eye ointment of any type? I wouldn't cull her yet. If you can by chance seperate her for a bit and give her a chance to eat and drink without competition that would help her mental state. The eyes and head are very prone to all sorts of things. Many times it will go away on its own. Can you get a good close up pic of her head? That would help to figure out what she might have. Always something isn't it?
    Eric

9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Always something!

I dont have any kind of eye ointment. Not even drops.
    It took me about 3 mins to open the eye that swoll up first. Her lobe has gotten so large and dry is cracking and bleeding.
    When I separated the first eye it was really dry on the outside. The inside had this yellow glop filled skin (like it was a swollen topper eye lid) that the lower lid had sealed around. She did not have this before. I could not even see the eye.

The second eye was sealed shut for the first time today. I got it open so she could at least see out of part an eye. Now its just a little slit.
    She was huddled on the ground of the coop this morning cause she could not even see to get out. Her best hen friend wont stand by her anymore. The rooster who stood by her all yesterday want nothing to do with her anymore. She walks around with her head and body very low and cries. I made sure she got some food and water.

I took a look at her best hen friend and it looks like shes got a crusty spot in the corner of her eye. Cant say its the same thing but it kind of worries me.

10. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

I would use a boric acid solutionin the eye several times a day ...this may save her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by