Hens eyes wont open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lorettachick, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    Just noticed this problem when I went out to feed this morning. One of my barred rock hens won't open her eyes....her mouth was open funny also. She looks really sick...what could this be?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Sounds like she is in shock but we could use some more info in order to be of more help.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    could very well be respitory listen to her breathing is it rattling? id start with tylan if you notice breathing difficulty. lots of times the eyes are effected first in a respitory situation. bring her inside isolate her listen look and feel for clues. maybe post a pic? but it shounds like shes mouth breathing first guess is respitory. start the tylan 50 . dose is small birds1/4 cc once daily for 5 days large birds 1/2 cc once daily for 5 days. two places you can give the injection, nape of neck and breast. reason I'm not suggesting water soulable antibotic is because when they are ill they don't drink as much as would be needed and dose would not be consistant as she needs,also with injectable its more concentrated and will get into blood system much faster. if you have never given a injection don't worry its much easier than you imagine. look at you tube for a video of giving a chicken injection they have tutoral videos. also on tylan50 the bottle will say for cattle and swine, please don't worry many many poultry owners including myself use it with Great success! its a excellent antibotic for respitory illness. so look her once over and if you agree that the respitory tract is involved go to the feed store and get the tylan and a syringe. you should see improvement in a few days. if its not respitory, which it sounds like it very well could be with the mouth breathing and eyes involved. and you think its ONLY a eye infection, you can use collidal silver in the eyes. its wonderful for eyes and can be purchased at health food stores
    but it sounds like more is involved than her eyes. hope this helps! id start her treatment as soon as possiable. remember to isolate her from the flock! best of luck to you and i really hope this helps. if she we're mine, this is what id do. but bring her in, look,listen,and feel for other clues or symptoms. could be just beginning if its respitory. hope she gets well soon keep us posted please.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    try to open her eyes to check th see if they are normal or are red or have any matter like goop inside them. its difficult to diagnose without more information. please check for more symptoms, especially check her eyes.is there any swelling? redness? has she closed her mouth? how is her breathing? any discharge from nose mouth eyes? more information would be extremely helpful! please look listen and feel. please post more info. picture would be Great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by