Hens eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mshaed, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Mshaed

Mshaed New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    I have a very sweet salmon favorelles hen and yesterday I noticed one of her eyes was shut. I picked her up to examine it and the other eyed looked perfectly fine and the one eye just looked like it was shut. Today I go into the coop and her other eye is partially closed. We just had 7 hens removed from flock (6 went to a new home 1 attacked by dog :( ) so there is defiantly tension and "violence" running through my flock. I've seen others pick on her before a lot. Should I be worried there is another underlying cause and how should I treat this. She other wise is acting and looking healthy.

2. WildWyandott110

WildWyandott110 Chillin' With My Peeps

put saline in the almost closed eye

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she getting up, eating, drinking, and active? Any other symptoms? How is the ventilation and ammonia level in your coop? Is it dusty? Many of those things can irritate the eyes. She also could be getting sick, possibly from a respiratory illness, or something else. Any lubricating eye drops, Vetericyn eye gel, or similar would help.

4. Mshaed

Mshaed New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you! Yes she is eating drinking and forging as normal. we actually clean out the pen once every two weeks and ventilation is really good. My mom found her this morning with both her eyes shut and because she couldn't find the water or feed she took her to our vet. She gave her some antibiotics and had us seperate her too. And we will be getting her some eye drops. Thank you !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by