hen's face is swollen, help! *pictures included*

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) easter egger mix, about one year old, weight is unknown but seems normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal behavior (still eating/drinking fine, not showing signs of sickness such as drooping wings, etc.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I just noticed it today, so a day at the most.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Yes. One of my younger roosters had the same thing. After examination, I noticed that over the course of a few days, he had 5 tiny ticks on his face (mostly around his eyes) that appeared to be deer ticks. I removed them with tweezers and the swelling appeared to go down a little.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, except for the swollen face (especially around the eyes) and bald head (most likely because of being mounted by a rooster).
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. At first, I figured it was due to the ticks, just like what I found with the younger rooster. But I closely examined the young hen's face and could not find any ticks on her.???
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Cracked corn, food scraps, and a lot of other stuff while free ranging. Water is always available for drinking, especially since it's been really hot here lately.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop appears to be normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I examined her for ticks (couldn't find any), and quarantined her from the rest of the flock for now. I'm going to also check the other chickens for ticks but from a distance, none of the others appear to have swollen faces.
10) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat her myself if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help:

(above: younger rooster with one side of swollen face, where ticks were found and removed)

(above: other side of younger rooster's face, which wasn't swollen and looked normal)

(the two above images are of the young black hen with the swollen face. No ticks were found)

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: pine shavings, in a normal, square, wooden coop. There are 6 total chickens; 2 roosters (a younger one and an older one...they both get along well), 2 older hens, and one younger hen (which is the black one with the swollen face in the image above).

Please help!

Last edited:
If they had ticks, but they are now gone, will the swelling eventually go down? Can they get Lyme disease? I've never had this problem before, and I have always been free ranging my chickens. I've had to take off a few ticks here and there, but I've never had to take off 5 on one chicken in the course of just a few days. Maybe they're just more worse this year than usual?
hu.gif

I think it's very unlikely that two chickens would happen to get a bee sting in the same exact spot. And there are no obvious bee nests/hives around the coop.

My first thought was that she had ticks too, but they fell off after feeding. At this point, if I were you, I would watch closely for any other symptoms and in the meantime see if the swelling goes down. You might want to find a dust for ticks and dust your chickens and their coop. Just like you would for lice/mites.

Back
Top Bottom