1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Fighting - ADVISE PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Ok I have 6 pullets that are 24 weeks old. They have been together since day 1 and have never really squabbled. Even when I assume the pecking order was being worked out. I could never really tell who what the lead hen, they all just got along. They have a 216 sq ft run and a 4x6 coop. They free range every evening for an hour or so.

I went out this morning to check the nest boxes and one of the buffs was stalking my EE and pecking her on the head. I thought well what is that all about so I went into the run and shooed her away. Then it was a free for all. They were all chasing each other around and really getting each other to the point of screams and running. What in the world would cause this to come out of the blue? I am out there several times a day and have never seen this behavior before.

The only thing that has changed is 3 of them are now laying and 3 are not. I dont even know where to start with chicken jail as they are all doing it, even my sweetest BR!

Here is a pic of my set up
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Be tough, and don't interfere. They have a hierarchy to figure out amongst themselves and separating them ends up dragging it out.

3. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Sounds like some of them are a little moody.

My RIR's personality changed a little when she started laying. As long as they aren't pecking to the point of hurting each other then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I've noticed that laying does influence pecking order. It is discouraging when a calm flock goes disfunctional. Are they getting enough green material? Something in addition to feed, in afternoon, like weeds or minced grass clippings? Might help. Nice coop setup by the way.

5. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Love the coop too. I know how you feel. I introduced an EE a few weeks ago and man did the feathers fly. I hated seeing my EE (Millie) getting pecked and feathers pulled. I was leaving for vacation and had my mom and a friend taking care of the chickens. They all seemed to get along when I was gone for a week. Now that I am back they seem to be picking on her again. I know they have to work it out but it looks so bad. Millie is the only one laying as well so I don't know if that has anything to do with thier behavior as well. Hope your settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by