Hens fighting?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joelolly, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Joelolly

Joelolly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    I'm probably about to ask a very stupid question and I just acknowledged that so please don't belittle me. I've seen roo's fight in the pen and we just bought some new "hens". I know the difference between roo's and hens(so far). They are fighting with my other hens and look just like roo's do when they fight. Their necks are flared up and they are jumping at each other. Is this normal and will they hurt each other?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Hens like roosters can and will fight over- New arrivals, territory, feed, etc. They can and will hurt each other depending on breed. A quick fight wouldn't really hurt much, but if they fight for awhile you need to separate them.

3. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    This is normal- they are just establishing the new pecking order. Did you introduce the new hens during the day, or at night? I would keep an eye on them at first, to make sure nobody gets seriously hurt. Don't worry though, they will work it out amongst themselves.

4. Joelolly

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    Ah. That's good to know! Thanks for the help!

5. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Oh yes, hens can fight. My do have a little scuffle from time to time. It isn't usually anything too terrible. A few pulled feathers or maybe a bite on the comb or wattle.

How old are they? They maybe starting to establish their pecking order. If it becomes a problem, seperate them.

How much space do they have? Too little space can cause them to fight. Also, make sure there is plenty of food and water available in several places.

Some environmental stressors or physical stress can also cause some aggressive behavior. Are they molting or brooding?

DB

6. Joelolly

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    I'm pretty sure the guy said they are 4 months old. The new ones are the silver laced wine(know that's not the right way to spell that) dottes. The others are some barred rocks, araconnas, sex links, and mutts. I have about 34 birds in a 10 x 20 coop. Is that too small? And the food and water hang in the same area with two feeders side by side(about 4 ft apart) and 4 waterers.

7. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    I believe the bare minimum is 2 sq. ft. of space per bird in the coop and an additional 4 sq. ft. of space per bird in their run. So, this is 6 sq. ft. of total space per bird. For 34 birds that would be 204 sq. ft. Remember, this is the bare minimum and your birds probably need more space. Consider splitting up your flock into a few different runs/coops or thinning out your flock. If you can give them an oppurtunity to free range, this will also make a big difference.

You should definately add more feeders and waterers and spread them out over the whole coop. Your hens maybe fighting over access to food, water and space. How many nest boxes do you have? It should be one to about every 5 birds.

DB

8. Joelolly

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    I'm about to try and post some pics of my setup on the coop board. Ill let ya know as soon as its done [​IMG]

9. Joelolly

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by